Forane® 408A refrigerant (R-408A) is a low-ozone depleting, near-azeotropic HCFC-containing blend of R-22, R-125, and R-143a, designed to match the performance of R-502. Forane® 408A is a retrofit solution for medium and low temperature refrigeration systems that are currently using R-502. R-408A should not be mixed with R-502 or used to top off the charge of an existing system operating on R-502. R-408A is not intended for use in new equipment. R-408A contains an HCFC and, as an ozone depleting refrigerant, is subject to phase out according to the Montreal Protocol international treaty and the Clean Air Act in the United States.
- Average molecular weight (g/mol) : 87.0
- Normal boiling point (°F) : -48.2
- Critical temperature (°F) : 181.7
- ASHRAE safety group classification : A1
- Ozone depletion potential (ODP) : 0.026
- Global warming potential (GWP) AR5 : 3,257